Improve your organic rankings with the help of this SEO checklist. It’s simple but don’t be fooled. Following these optimization strategies will improve your search results.
Strategy & Pre-Launch Care
Additional info: Access Google Search Consol Data in Google Analytics, Set Up.
Keywords Research & Implementation
1. Select the Right Keyword Strategy
The dilemma is simple enough: Setting long-terms aims and targeting highly competitive keywords or going after long tail keywords, you can get decent ranking for in the near future. In any case search and competition volumes are very important factor while making your semantic core
Additional info: What your customers are looking for?
On Page Optimization
Additional info: Information Architecture for SEO
- Try to write unique titles for each web page.
- Include one keyword into your title and keep 70 characters for each title as search engines show the first 70 characters.
- Don’t use more than 2 or more keywords.
- Try to make up a short and informative title.
- Try to avoid such keywords as free, cheap as it will look like spam.
- Avoid duplicate titles.
- You can use a brand name in your titles but it is no need to use it on each page of a website as it will decay the user perception.
Additional info: Page titles
Some tips how to create a right meta description:
- Write unique meta description about 160 characters as Google shows the first 160 characters of a meta description.
- Include one keyword into a meta description. Avoid keyword stuffing.
- All meta descriptions must be informative and shows the main idea of a page.
- Meta descriptions must be written for people, primarily, but not for search engines.
- Use a brand name in your description, but not in each one. Avoid the usage of such words as free, cheap.
In Google Search Consol>Search Appearance>HTML Improvements>Duplicate Meta Descriptions you can check all meta descriptions and duplicate content
How to create SEO Friendly URLs:
- Use a target keyword in your URL as search engines rank better such files;
- Do the utmost to make your URL short without senseless signs such as &4%34@!$$%%;
- Use hyphens for your URLs. Don’t use underscore;
- Use a minimum amount of folders into your URL. For examples, use seranking.com/folder1/keyword-research instead of seranking.com/folder1/subfolder1/keyword-research
Additional info: Canonical URLs
Some tips how to optimize a heading tag:
- If you have lots of titles, use heading tags h2-h6.
- The best combination will be the usage of h1-h3. You don’t need to use extra titles.
- Don’t use H tags with other tags such as strong or em.
- Don’t use a heading tag into your images as it will be considered as spam.
Some tips how to optimize your Alt tags:
- Alt tags can improve your usability and availability. With the search by image you can get traffic on your website.
- You should consider Alt images are more important for search engines than title images.
- Try to describe your images with no more than 5 words.
- Use one keyword in Alt images, avoid keyword stuffing.
- 404 error when entering an address domain;
- A download link you offer is not working;
- An article you refer was removed by admin;
- A website or a blog is closed or is not working anymore.
Additional info: How many links per page?
How to make a right website interlinking:
- Create a sitemap in html format that helps search engines to index your website and users to find a right article or information.
- Insert backlinks into articles of your website at the bottom of the web page. You can insert 3-10 backlinks.
- Make internal linking in your article referring on other articles of your website. Try to include no more than 5-10 backlinks in each article.
- Insert backlinks into your images. It works well but it should do it in a right way.
- Make a sitebar on each page of the website with the recent articles. Don’t forget to block this section from indexing in order to avoid duplicate content.
- Analyze news and events in your field;
- Make a deep research about your product, service;
- Make some interviews and audience research;
- To increase the relevancy of your website there are several ways how to create a content that can attract more clients on your website:
- Make an interview with famous experts in your field;
- Create a list of tips, ratings and etc. For example, “5 Ways…”, “10 Best…”, “Top 6…”;
- Make some polls and votes;
- Create some educational sections, i.e. different dictionaries, reports, guidelines, tips, checklists and etc;
- Regularly update your articles, read over again old articles and add something new into them. Analyze what topics you should create in order to refer to your written articles. Search engines, in particular Google, love fresh and new ideas;
- Write reviews about popular products, services, books and something that people need most of all from search engines;
- Compare popular products, services and etc;
- Be the first who can inform fresh and new events in your field;
- Use some phrases and quotes of famous people in your niche;
- Make some predictions and outcomes;
- Share your stories based on real events;
- Use humor in your articles as even some stupid and funny things can be viral over the net that can attract more traffic;
- Organize some interesting and useful contests;
- If you have an on-line shop, try to post your price list as people need to know prices and compare where to buy, what to buy and how much to buy.
Content writing guidelines:
- Your article must have at least 300 words of unique content, but it is better to write more than 300 words. Just keep the golden mean not too short and not too long;
- Use your target keyword and long-tail keywords that can be greatly included in your article and look natural and useful for your website;
- Don’t use duplicate and rewritten content. All articles, titles, meta descriptions and heading tags should be unique. Check your articles for plagiarism with Copyscape.
- Write only unique content. Avoid duplicate content. All your pages must have unique content.
- Check website content for plagiarism. You can use the tool Copyscape.
- Avoid grammar and spelling mistakes, although sometimes you can get some mistakes for search engine results. But it is better not to abuse of it as your content can be considered as of low quality.
- Keep keyword density with max 3-5% in each article. Avoid keyword stuffing as you can get Google penalties for that stuff.
- Use interlinking with your target anchor links. Make sure that too optimized content can create a negative impact on your website.
- Don’t’ use ad bots that close the main content as it really irritates and distract users’ attention. This method of promotion can decay your usability and your website rankings.
Additional info: Irrelevant keywords
Some tips how to run a blog:
- Try to make a worthy and useful material, regularly update your blog.
- Optimize your articles for a blog and share them via social networks (Google Plus, Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter and etc.).
- Create informative, quality and fresh articles with carefully chosen keywords.
- If you run an ecommerce website you can write not only about your products, service, industry, but you can write about something that is closed connected with your product that can attract your users.
Additional info: Increase Your Blog Activity
- Use keywords in headlines and video descriptions;
- Create backlinks on your video with your anchor texts. It is better to use 50% of exact and mixed keywords and 50% of keywords with your brand name, domain name or natural phrases like “click here”, “link here” and etc.
- Write 10 characters for video descriptions with your keywords.
Off Page Optimization
Some useful tips about backlinks:
- Analyze how much your backlinks are natural and unique;
- Check all anchors that refer to your website and how much they are effective;
- Check all errors that can be in your backlinks, detect all broken links, 404 errors and etc;
- Detect what web pages are more visited and what ones are less visited. Think how to improve this page or pages.
- Check each page and resource, Goolge PR, a number of backlinks for each page, geographical location;
- Use your keywords in anchor text that will help search engines to detect the relevancy of your backlinks;
- Try to get Dofollow backlinks that are indexed by search engines as they give a significant weight to the web page. Therefore, if you have a blog site and some articles have links that refer to trusted resources you should make the nofollow tag for these links and Google will ignore such kind of bakclinks.
- Be creative and bright to write quality article with infographics, videos, images and etc. Google loves such articles that can affect your keyword positions in search engine results.
- Use only unique and new material.
- Publish your articles on quality and trusted websites with good traffic and authority.
- Try to keep balance and post articles 2-5 articles per week. You shouldn’t post 10-20 articles per week as Google will see you use guest posting as the basic way to get backlinks.
- Firstly, write for people, define your target audience and detect what they really want and their FAQ. The best way to find out that is to read forums and blogs that can give good ideas to write useful articles.
- Insert the anchor text where it can be really needful to give additional information.
- Use some real stories, use humour that can attract people’s attention.
What you should avoid:
- DON’T use guest posting as the main way of website promotion.
- DON’T write too optimized articles.
- DON’T post your articles on low quality and non topical websites.
- DON’T use duplicate and spin content.
- DON’T insert a lot of backlinks in your articles for link building.
6. Answers the Questions in Your Field
You should take an active participation to answer questions in Yahoo Answers, Google Answers. Try to post broad and useful answers. If you want to give more additional information you can insert the link in your answer. Avoid spam and don’t need to place your links wherever you want. Include the links where they really need in order to completely disclose the entire answer.
7. Write reviews about your product, website, service
Write a well-detailed review that people can view all benefits of your product, mention some key features that differ you from your competitors. Make it catching, try to avoid terminology as some people can’t know them what will cause some difficulties. If you decide to use some terms, try to explain them into your reviews. Reviews should be clear, understandable and well-formed. Don’t need to write just about these features that other competitors also have. Be creative!
Additional info: Tips for Writing Great Reviews
- Create interesting and useful videos, use some humor, don’t use lots of texts into videos;
- Don’t forget to mention about your brand;
- Don’t make videos too long, make it short and clear (it depends on your topic);
- Call your users into action;
- Make audience orientated videos and take into account their preferences and needs.
What you should avoid:
- Don’t spam;
- Avoid keyword stuffing in your articles;
- Don’t publish your press releases on low quality websites;
- Don’t write duplicate and rewritten press releases.
What you should pay attention:
- Write informative and useful material that will engage users and induce them to get more detailed information about your product, company and etc;
- Use 2-3 keywords in a press release;
- Write unique press releases;
- Leave your contacts and website address that people can find you at any time;
- All press releases are written in third person;
- Publish your press releases on quality and good websites with high PR and good traffic;
- Use multimedia files, for example, images, videos and etc;
- Use subtitles, highlight an important information in bold or italic;
- At the begging of your press releases you should include your logo that people can define your brand name.
Additional info: Google Counts Press Releases
Social Media Management
- Share only interesting, useful and new content;
- Share videos, infographics, charts, tables and other multimedia;
- Make some contests, polls, events, webinars that can engage your fans;
- Make some interviews with famous people, experts in a specific field;
- Analyze audience activity, what they need, FAQ, give them useful tips;
- Take an active participation in discussions, ask people’s opinion about products or etc;
- Try to get real FB likes, Google+ Shares, Tweets, don’t use autofollowing services and bots;
- Remember to Include your links into social profiles;